Friday, June 29, 2012

The lost art of saying THANK YOU

So this really saddens me, considering the number of gifts and services that I’ve shelled out and people don’t formally say thank you…RUDE and sooo out of order! The last thank you card I received was from a girl I met at a part time job…only knew her for 7 mths or so, but we were kindred spirits. She had an ordeal with a man that possibly gave her a STD on top of dealing with her mom dying of breast cancer as a child-fast forward to the present- and possibly finding out she had the gene…she was dealing with so much. I wasn’t judgmental, I listened as she called and cried over the phone (while I was at work)…being careful to be super supportive because I can’t imagine dealing with any of that and sometimes you just need a good friend! When she finally returned to work, she asked to see me and gave me a huge hug! I remember she genuinely thanked me over and over again for being so sweet and how it really changed her mood and helped her to get her life together and face it all (I guess as opposed to being suicidal). THEN she handed me a thank you note…it has black and white daisies on the cover and a heartfelt thank you inside. THAT was the last thank you note I received, and I have it posted in my room. Unfortunately, it was a super long time ago…probably like 2009.
Saying “thank you” with a huge smile when you receive a gift or a nice gesture may seem adequate enough but it’s NOT and I am here to tell you!!! A man or women of distinction always writes a thank you note or has a thank you dinner or SOMETHING other than speaking the words “thank you”. In the days of instant communication, it’s easy to overlook the act of writing a thank you note but don’t feel like you’re overdoing it if you do…if someone bought you something you’re actually “underdoing” it by only speaking “thank you”!
You might reason that you don’t have to thank everyone for everything…but that’s kind of screwed because you kind of should to be a great person and who doesn’t want to be GREAT? Always thank gift givers, no matter how grand or seemingly insignificant the gift because they’ve taken their time and or money to buy you something. The person thought of you so THINK OF THEM. A thank you note is a gift in and of itself. Give the gift of acknowledgment! Sometimes your reputations can depend on it…I know I’m looking at some rather unappreciative people rather side-eyed because I never received a thank you card. In the 21st century, we do so much emailing, texting, tweeting, and “facebooking” that a thank you note is the only time we can put pen to paper so be excited!! Matter of factly, I have two different sets of thank you cards and envelopes at my desk at work for any time I want to send one. For things like birthdays I don’t give formal thank you cards but I do send online thank you notes. However if I had a shower, housewarming, wedding, or any of the like I would send an excited formal thank you card. I’d wish to relay said excited appreciation.
I think it’s acceptable if someone picks up dinner that saying “thank you so much for dinner” works…casual in nature of course! If you’re into the extra mile, a follow-up text, email, or planning a dinner where you pay in return is most acceptable! It’s not mandatory but it’s a nice gesture. Special events ahh it’s a MUST! Ain’t nothing worse than hearing the married couple loves LOVES your gift and they never said thank you. But maybe the thank you card was lost in the mail? Wedding culture states you have up to one year to write a thank you note….I find that a tad bit astonishing as a lot can happen in a year’s time. Understand that failing to write a note makes you, the happy married couple, appear impolite and ungrateful. What people fail to realize is guess what…the recently married couple that had a baby and sent cards announcing the birth of their child….rarely receive a tickle me Elmo now since I gave a wedding gift with no thank you card!  Just saying….
and with all this said, THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY BLOG!

No comments:

Post a Comment